Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pre-Pregnancy Eating, Day 21: Bonus Recipe Edition

Currently CD22, Average Ovulation CD21. CD21 OPKs: Negative.
I really thought I had a handle on these OPKs! I’ve moderated my water intake so my urine isn’t diluted. I’m doing them twice a day (10am, 3pm). Yesterday they were looking pretty dark but no positive yet. Why won’t these darn sticks turn positive? (I know why, but still. Grr!)
The most frustrating thing is that this is the last cycle before the big one. This was the cycle I was going to base a lot of next month’s choices on! When to order the samples, when to start OPKs, when to trigger… Our timetable is completely up in the air at this point.
I’m also concerned that this longer cycle will be followed by a super-short one, like last time. If so, we won’t be able to cycle in February and will have to push into March or April. Ugh!
Even as I write that, though, God is reminding me: He is in control. His timing is perfect. He already knows how the cycle will turn out. Do not worry or be anxious, instead give it to the Lord in prayer. Trust the Lord. He is good.
***
R had a real breakthrough at bible study Monday night! I see him trusting the Lord with the things that have been worrying him for the past few months. I am so proud of him for turning these over to God! And so happy for him to begin being filled with God’s peace. Yay, R!
We also had a great conversation last night about whether respect (for a husband from his wife) can be commanded or must be earned. I’m really looking forward to fleshing out those thoughts and posting them later in the week.
***
Tuesday’s eating was fine. Maybe a little heavy, what with the cheese at lunch and the condensed soup in the casserole. I gotta say, though, that Shepherd’s Pie is the best on these cold nights. Warms me right up!
·         Before Breakfast: 6oz Water
·         Breakfast: French Toast Oatmeal
·         Before Lunch: 16oz Water
·         Lunch: 1 Slice Whole Grain Bread, 3 Celery Stalks, 2T Palmetto Cheese. Chobani Champions Orange Vanilla GY
·         PM Snack: Banana
·         Before Leaving: 20oz Water
·         Dinner: Shepherd’s Pie (recipe below)
·         Extra: York Peppermint Patty, SF Vodka Tonic
I took R’s advice and have doubled up on my sit-ups. I am now doing 30 military sit-ups and 7 pairs of side sit-ups at both 6pm and 8pm. It's tough but I'm hoping to see some big results soon.
My arms are a little frustrating. I can see some great progress when I flex – I’m starting to get some real guns! But they aren’t trimming up! And I’m still struggling in the last set for each arm exercise, so I haven’t been able to increase the weight yet. I don’t know what’s going on there.
I’ve increased the weight on legs, going from 30lbs to 35lbs. I’ll give myself another week before upping to 40lbs. I’m also adding a few more tricep and thigh exercises to the routine tonight and will report back in the morning!

I really appreciate the thoughts on adding back in some cardio. Our nights are in the teens these days, so running when I get home is kinda out of the question. I wonder if jump rope and/or jumping jacks would be enough for now?
***
Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed "Potatoes"
This recipe is a takeoff on the Shepherd’s Pie my grandmother used to make. I’ve replaced ingredients like ground beef, canned veggies, and cream of mushroom soup with some healthier options, as well as upped the veggies. I’ve started to leave the cheese off the top, too. Less cheese = more butter! Heh. If you want to go even fresher, you could make your own roux instead of using condensed soup. I don’t have that kind of time!
I usually make this on the weekend and split it into two dishes. One goes in the fridge for Tuesday, the other into the freezer (remove from freezer 24 hours before cooking).
Ingredients
·         1lb Ground Turkey Breast
·         1 can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Celery Soup
·         1C Frozen Whole Kernel Corn
·         1C Frozen Sweet Peas
·         1 Onion, Chopped
·         2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
·         2 White Potatoes
·         1C Cauliflower
·         1 can Cannelini (White Kidney) Beans
·         4T Butter
·         1/4C Skim Milk
·         Kosher Salt, Fresh Cracked Pepper
Special Tools
·         Food Processor
·         Ziplock Steamer Bag
For the Mashed Potatoes:
Peel and roughly cube the potatoes, setting them in a pot of salted water to boil. While boiling, roughly chop cauliflower and place in steamer bag; steam in microwave for 6 minutes. (If you do not have a steamer bag, place cauliflower in with the potatoes for the final 6 minutes of boiling. The mixture will be looser this way, so adjust the milk accordingly.) Drain and rinse cannellini beans, then place in the food processor. Add steamed cauliflower and boiled potatoes, 2T butter, half the milk, and process. Scrape down sides and process again. Remove from food processor back to the potato pot and stir in remaining butter and milk. Season to taste.
These mashed “potatoes” will be much smoother than regular potatoes with a thicker mouth feel. But they are loaded with protein and nutrients, rather than nutritionally void like regular potatoes. If you want to take it a step further, steam a whole head of cauliflower and skip the potatoes all together!
For the Filling:
Take veggies out of the freezer to begin to thaw. Brown turkey with kosher salt (no additional oil) and remove from pot. Lightly oil the pot with either olive or grapeseed oil and sweat onion and celery. Add the mostly thawed veggies and condensed soup. Stir until the soup has loosened, then incorporate the browned turkey. Season to taste with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Assembly:
Here’s the thing. If you’re not doing cheese on top, there’s no reason to dirty another dish. Just spoon filling into a bowl, top with the mashed potatoes, and enjoy!
If you’re going with cheese on top, you’ll want to shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese doesn’t melt as well as fresh! Preheat your oven to 350* while you’re cooking, then:
Lightly coat casserole dish with non-stick spray. Evenly spread filling on the bottom and the mashed potatoes on top. Top with 1/2 to 3/4C freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Bake covered for 10 minutes, then uncovered until the cheese has barely browned.

1 comment:

  1. God is in control! Great reminder :) That is freezing! Wow!!! If you can't join a gym, the jump roping would be great, or any workout dvd!! I do insanity at home, but those are pretty tense, I know there are some not so intense ones for woman too!! Good luck :) Awesome work with the weights!

    ReplyDelete