Monday, November 5, 2012

Awk. Ward.

Today, I’m thankful for growth.
I know I’ve spoken in the past about how uncomfortable I am with talking about sexuality and my fear of having “The Talk” with Little K. Well, I’m about to toot my own horn for a moment. A couple of months ago, Little K asked me where babies come from.
Yup, that happened.
So, I reviewed the basics that my mother provided to her last year: the woman has the egg, the man has the seed, you put them together and a baby is created. Then *oh lord no* she asked how the egg and the seed get together. So, I gave her the technical names for the main body parts involved while avoiding the actual how.
And -here’s the big thing- we’ve been using the technical names ever since!
Seriously, this is HUGE for me. In fact, I’ve begun correcting her when she uses slang or nicknames for these parts!
I really want to lay a strong foundation for this topic so that the real talk goes as well as possible. Through no fault of my parents, I grew up very squeamish about sex. I don’t like talking about it, especially with my mom and dad. Example: I was watching a movie with my mom while recovering from surgery this past summer. There was a gag about sex and I blushed and hid under the blanket. At 31 years old! Seriously.
So, I’m making it technical. And I can talk technical all day long.
Hopefully this will do two things: one, I really want “the talk” to be more of a continuous discussion we have over several years rather than a big milestone conversation that leaves us both (well, me at least) very uncomfortable. And, two, I would like to begin regular dialogue on this subject so that she feels comfortable coming to me with these questions or comments at any point in her life.
I hope that the rest of our talks continue to go as well as that first one did.
In other news, Mom and Dad taught Little K our favorite card game: Crazy Eights! She and I played several times last week and she, R, and I played out first game together on Saturday. So much fun! I just love hearing her call out “last card!” She even caught me at it during our last hand and made me pick up seven cards. She’s definitely momma’s girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment