Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Big Day

Today is my sweet baby girl’s birthday and we aren’t together. She is having a great time in FL visiting her father and his family. They did Christmas Eve with grandparents, Christmas morning with her dad, and have a birthday party planned with grandparents, too. She is living it up with her five cousins and two step siblings. She is having a great time.
I’m not necessarily complaining. The fact that she is having so much fun means a lot to me. And we have had a nice Christmas here. But it is good to be back at work and have a bit of distraction.
And, although it doesn’t beat spending her birthday together, I do have another very special tradition that I take part in every December 26th:
Coming only once a year, my favorite bath and body boutique has a massive sale on this day. I spend an obscene amount of money on me for products that will eventually just go down the drain.
But it’s more than just suds and organic oils. On a day that could be so hard, making a big purchase -something I look forward to all year- is a way to take care of myself. To feel good and excited for the day to come. To feel pampered and spoiled. To tell myself I’m worth it. To give myself a gift that no one else would consider.
My order lasts for one year. In fact, I have only two pieces left from last year’s order, one of which I will use tonight (along with a vodka tonic). And each time I climb in the tub, I get a bit of peace. Good day or bad day, with a smile or tears, climbing into the bubbly, oiled water makes me feel better. And I thank myself for placing the order, thinking every time that the price tag was so worth it.
And my order usually arrives at the house the same day as Little K, making it all the sweeter.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you, having a tradition that helps you to destress and change your focus today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really does help. Every girl deserves to pamper herself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from ICLW! Sorry you aren't with your little one today. Hope you enjoy your "me" time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you had fun shopping! ICLW #58

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking care of yourself is always a good thing. Try to hang in there. ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing is better than spoiling yourself...

    I am sorry you aren't with your little girl....

    ReplyDelete
  7. "my favorite bath and body boutique has a massive sale on this day. I spend an obscene amount of money on me for products that will eventually just go down the drain."

    Haha! I love this line. I like to go to B&BW and buy about 20 bottles of bubble bath around this time of year. My husband thinks I am insane.

    ReplyDelete