Thursday, December 27, 2012

Results

When I spoke with my doctor yesterday, her first words were “Nothing is high-grade.” Which is encouraging. The repeat pap and cervical biopsy were both completely normal. However, the biopsy of the bumps came back as focal mild dysplasia of the vagina.
What even?
This is becoming more and more frustrating because I continue to test negative for HPV, which is the leading cause of dysplasia. I feel like I’m turning into a bit of a mystery: healthy, moderately active, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, non-smoker, free of STDs… AND YET.
Anyway, the biopsy results have won me a trip back to the oncologist. The first available appointment is not until January 3rd but I have my name in for any cancellations or gaps in scheduling, since I work just 15 minutes away.
My understanding from my GYN is that the dysplasia was contained within the biopsied area, so further surgery should not be required. Also, that this was the only area found in the colposcopy so, again, we should not need further surgery at this time.
My questions so far:
·         How can I have dysplasia when I test negative for HPV?
·         What are the other possible causes of dysplasia?
·         How likely is it that this will develop into cancer?
·         How closely is this related to the vulvar dysplasia we found over the summer?
·         Was a vaginal colposcopy performed during my surgery or just a vulvar colposcopy?
·         If a vaginal colposcopy was performed, how were these cells not found as I could feel them back in June (and told my GYN)?
·         What concerns should we have knowing that these cells have been growing unchecked since June 2012?
·         What is the next step in treatment?
·         How likely is a recurrence?
·         What lifestyle changes should/can I make to decrease likelihood of recurrence?
·         How does this effect our tentative plans of TTC in the Spring?
Do any other questions come to mind for you?

6 comments:

  1. Scary. I hope you get all of your questions answered and the cells do not turn cancerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your doctor can figure out what's going on! :S I hate being a medical mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh, I hope everything will turn out fine! Marie from ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I hope you get some answers and good news.

    Here from ICLW. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are able to find some answers soon. I can see how this situation would be frustrating and scary. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of any more questions. All I keep thinking is how maddening and frustrating and a little scary the whole situation must be. Wishing you the very best of luck and good health.

    ICLW #6 Dragondreamer's Lair

    ReplyDelete