Friday, February 21, 2014

Welcome ICLW!

Wow, I haven't been a part of ICLW in ages. Before you read any further, I am currently 38 weeks pregnant after Donor Sperm IUI. I completely understand if you prefer to walk away. Take care of you!

Here we are, in the final weeks. I'm headed to a midwife appointment this morning and am still debating whether to ask for an internal exam. As a rule, this practice doesn't check you until you go over 40 weeks unless you specifically ask for an exam. I know it's early but I would love to hear that I've begun to efface and possibly to have started dilating. That would be a wonderful encouragement!

I've had three contractions this week, all while doing our two mile walk in the afternoon. The first two were on the same day about ten minutes apart. Once we got home and I had a tumbler of water, nothing. The other was on Thursday about 2/3 of the way through our walk; just one and then nothing else. Hoping to start seeing/feeling some signs that things are happening soon.

I've started pumping colostrum in case we need to supplement. After a three days, I'm up to half an ounce and moved it to the freezer. Although it isn't much, I feel really good about my pumping progress! My lactation consultant warned me that colostrum is very hard to express and you don't get much of a yield, so my .5oz makes me feel like a champion pumper! I'll keep at it, pumping one to two times a day until my birthing time. Unfortunately, pumping has NOT caused any contractions. Boooo.

R and Little K are getting excited in their own ways. Ever the (wonderful) husband, R has a minor freak out every time I have a contraction and reminds me that we have to hold off until my mom arrives on Tuesday. Little K still hugs momma's belly each night and kisses her little brother goodnight. I just love it!

As for me, I'm hanging in there. I've managed to come up with an ear infection over the past few days and am hoping that my midwife can write me a prescription to deal with that before it gets worse. My body is holding up well with no more than the standard end of pregnancy aches and pains. I'm sleeping okay and have a good appetite. Been off dairy for a week now and only miss it when I see the billboard for Shamrock Shakes. *sigh* Next year.

Overall, things are looking great. I'll try to update after the doctor today.

In the mean time, what is your favorite seasonal treat?

Obviously, mine is that beautiful mint green dairy bomb...

5 comments:

  1. I didn't even know you could pump before, how interesting!! I'm so sorry about your ear infection!!! You are so close, hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping that things only get better from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! As a mom who exclusively pumped for my first babe due to prematurity that led to nursing problems, my hat goes off to you for getting started with the pumping early. I hope that all goes well ! Here from ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Caroline...I had no idea you could pump early! Congrats on your little man, and I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly...you're probably itching to get through the last couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by for the first time from ICLW. Congrats on your pregnancy. Wishing you a safe delivery and healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete