Wednesday, November 20, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day 20: Not at All Wordless Wednesday

Bump Pic and Pregnancy Warning!

But first, to protect the dashboard:

Chillin' on a Sunday Morning

I have to confess something: We had a scare last Friday. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. Everything happened so fast and, by the time I was in a place where I could blog, everything was fine again. Here's what happened...

Although I thought I had felt Aaron move when I was cuddling with Little K around 7:00 AM last Friday, I didn't feel him move the rest of the morning. I finally realized that he had been overly quiet around 11:00 AM. I pressed on my stomach and felt his body move with little resistance to my pushing hands. I drank a quick glass of OJ, boiled water and put in a couple tea bags to steep, and ran over to the pharmacy to purchase a stethoscope. When I got home, I quickly drank the tea and laid down to listen for his heartbeat. Although I wasn't surprised that I couldn't find it (such things are tricky), I got very upset when I noticed he wasn't pushing back or complaining about all of the poking and prodding. Cue panic.

I know that you are supposed to lay down for an hour and do a kick count before freaking out but, given that we live an hour away from the midwife, there was no way I could wait that long. I called the birth center, spoke with a midwife, and got in the car to go listen to Aaron's heartbeat. R works at the house, too, and was worried but I asked him to stay home so he could pick up Little K from school. I called my mom and gave her the heads up.

I ran R and mom through the possible next steps if Aaron's heartbeat was abnormal: emergency ultrasound, possible overnight stay at hospital for observation, possible bed rest. I asked mom to look at flights to NC - what was available that afternoon and what was available Saturday morning. None of us mentioned the worst outcome.

The whole way to the center, I kept praying, "Please, let him still be alive." Finally around 1:30, when I was about 20 minutes from the birth center, I felt a kick. I put my hand on my stomach and prayed - kick me again if you're okay, little man. Another kick in the same spot.

By the time I got to the birth center, Aaron was kicking up a storm. We listened to his heartbeat, running very high for him at 145 (the caffeine must have finally hit him!) I felt relieved and a little foolish as I began the long drive home but so, so grateful that my boy was okay.

I hope I never have to live through a day like that again.



8 comments:

  1. Oh wow how scary! Pregnancy is just one long period of holding your breath and praying all will be ok. I'm glad all was fine. Don't feel silly about a wasted trip. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew, I'm glad everything is okay. And better safe than sorry, so I don't see it as a wasted trip at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything is OK! Love the dress in your pic - and I love the bump :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. goodness girl, sorry for that scare, so glad you and sweet Aaron are ok! Love that bump pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, that must have been terrifying. So glad that everything turned out okay-- be sure to scold him for that little scare when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for being listening to your intuition. No need to feel silly, that's for sure! And cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think i didn't breathe the entire time I was reading your post. I can't imagine the panic you must have been in. Thank you Jesus for him being okay!! Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bump!

    I say the little man is grounded for scaring momma.

    ReplyDelete