Friday, September 14, 2012

Creation

A great question in yesterday’s BSF lesson: “Why do you think God created the world?”
[Aside: I have just this second realized that this question can be taken two ways: What are your reasons for believing God created the world? Or, What do you think God’s purpose was for creating the world? In reading the initial question, I answered it as I would the later interpretation; the former didn’t even cross my mind. My belief -mind, heart, and soul- is that God created the world. I’m not here to debate or offer scientific fact, only to say that I believe in a divine God who is the source of all things including the universe, the earth, and all life.]
Anyway, back to my thoughts on the purpose of creation.
Our scripture to use in answering was Genesis 1 and Psalm 8. Verses that stood out to me were these:
·         In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1 NIV
·         God’s Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss. Genesis 1:2b MSG
·         God spoke: “Let us make human beings in our image, make them
 reflecting our nature […] Genesis 1:26a MSG

·         God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Genesis 1:31a NIV
·         I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous, your handmade sky-jewelry, Moon and start mounted in their settings. Psalm 8:3 MSG
·         You put us in charge of your handcrafted world. Psalm 8:6 MSG
I was told that the two books you need for studying the Bible are a bible and a dictionary. Because Genesis 1 is so familiar to me, I wanted to look up some of the words:
·         Create: to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art or an invention.
·         Brood: to think persistently about; ponder; to cover or seem to fill the atmosphere or scene.
·         Make: to bring into existence; to make a work of art.
  • Handicraft: manual skill; an art, craft, or trade in which the skilled use of one's hands is required.
As I pray and meditate on these verses and definitions, I think about music.
Music is inside of me, a part of who I am. I compose, sing, and play instruments, not because I have to but because I need to. Being away from my instruments when inspiration strikes, or being at a location where singing would be inappropriate, is so frustrating; I dwell on my need to make music until I get to a place where I can play or sing. The feeling I have when making music is of release and relief – everything was pent up inside of me and feels so good to let out.
I feel God’s purpose for creating the world is because He IS a creative God. That this world and everything good in it is a part of Himself that He needed to express. Genesis 1:31 could be more than a statement of fact – it could be the joy and relief He feels in expressing His creativity and in giving life.
Whether your inspiration is music, dance, art, words, numbers, medicine… Imagine the joy you experience when you are finally able to express your creativity. The God who made the universe took the same joy in creating this world we inhabit.
And in creating YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Love your thoughts here. I am doing a lot of reading on the same topic, especially seeing the vast difference between the Genesis creation account and that of other Ancient Near Eastern creation accounts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete