Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Workout Wednesday: Getting the Boot

Once I signed Little K up for gymnastics, I began receiving emails from her gym. The very first email was announcing the new schedule for boot camp from 6:30am-7:30am two mornings a week at $5 per class. I mentioned my interest in the class to R who immediately stated that he could give me boot camp at home for free.
Oh, really?
Well, he does come from a military family. I’ve heard enough stories about his time growing up on base overseas to realize that he knows a thing or two about PT. A quick negotiation later (at least 5 days per week and I need him to be proactive in getting down stairs to boot me) and we were set.
Here is Rspence’s guide to at-home boot camp:
·         5 Minutes: Jumping Jacks or Jump Rope. I use a weighted jump rope in order to work my arms a little more.
·         Thighs, Buttocks, Biceps: Lunges with Curls. Knee goes all the way to the floor while both arms curl with comfortable weights. I’m currently using 5lb weights since I’m trying to tone rather than grow the arms.
·         Triceps: Weights behind the Head. One arm at a time lifts a weight behind the head. I had to start with 10lb for my right arm and 5lb for my left. Trying to work my left harder so that they are at least lifting evenly.
·         Abs: Marine Sit-Ups. You know, the kind with your arms behind your head and bringing your elbow to the opposite knee. Awful.
·         Pecs: Push-Ups. Nothing fancy about these. I get to do girl push-ups but he wants me to get to the point of doing guy push-ups. We’ll see.
·         Cardio: Run. Again, nothing fancy. Plug in the headphones and jog for at least one mile without stopping.
·         Cool Down: Walk. By the time I’m done getting booted, Little K is ready for a bike ride. She rides her rapidly-getting-too-small bike while we both walk briskly behind her. Then we all cool off with a sugar-free popsicle on the porch.
A quick breakdown of equipment:
·         Running Shoes, Required
That’s it! Everything else is optional:
·         Yoga Mat
·         Comfortable Weights (I have two 5lb and one 10lb)
·         Jump Rope (Mine is weighted)
·         Music and Headphones
The whole idea is that the Marine’s don’t give you special equipment - you use your body to provide its own resistance. I was not about to go out and buy anything special for my husband to torture me with or buy a treadmill. I just happened to already have each of the items above. I don’t even have an armband for my iPhone, I just run gripping it in the regular case. I jump rope in the driveway, do everything else in the garage, and then run the streets in our neighborhood. That’s it.
I have to cop to being much less fit than I thought. I started out only being able to do 10 lunges, 20 sit-ups, and 10 push-ups. I remember a time when I could do 30 of each without a problem. *sigh* I may be able to carry a 50lb 6-year-old but I’m realizing that it’s only because she wraps her legs around my waist. The good news is that I’ve already improved to 16 lunges and 15 push-ups. So, y’know, progress! Yay!
I’m trying to think of a cute way to wrap this up but nothing comes to mind. Working out is hard. It makes me sweat, which I hate. It takes up time, both during the workout and the added shower after. It takes a few weeks to feel the results, even longer to see them. But I feel better physically and mentally after, plus I’m grateful for the extra time with R. And, hopefully, we are modeling healthy habits for Little K.
And now, a little recipe for you.
Not-Too-Bad for You Creamy Pasta
This is a little number I whipped up last night out of our freezer and pantry. It turned out very well and is full of veggies. Serves two adults with leftovers for lunch the next day.
Ingredients:
·         1C Whole Grain Bowtie Pasta
·         1 Chicken Breast, Cut into Bite-Size Pieces
·         1C Frozen Cauliflower, Thawed
·         1/2C Frozen Peas
·         1C Chopped Fresh Kale
·         1/3C Shredded or Julienned Carrot
·         1 Garlic Clove, Minced
·         1/2C Chicken Stock
·         3T Reduced Fat Onion Chive Cream Cheese

Cook pasta according to packaging. Drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, heat your pan or dutch oven with a little EVOO. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in the pan. Once the chicken begins to brown, thrown in the cauliflower. Once the cauliflower begins to brown, throw in the chopped kale. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Once the kale is cooked, thrown in the carrot and garlic. As soon as you can smell the garlic, add the chicken stock so that the garlic does not burn. Once the stock begins to boil, stir in the cream cheese and allow to melt. Fold in the frozen peas and cooked pasta. Turn the heat down to low and allow to thicken, less than 5 minutes.
Serve in bowls with fresh cracked pepper. Consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment