Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Three-Letter Word

There are three people on this earth that I can talk to about sex: my husband, my sister, and my best friend. Put me in front of anyone else and my face goes red while my mouth snaps shut. I had to be distracted with a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle while my mother gave me “the talk” because I couldn’t look at her while she spoke about that.

This makes it difficult when your daughter starts asking questions about human reproduction.

Luckily, my mother swooped in to save the day. She gave Little K words to use by telling her that the woman has the egg, the man has the seed, they put them together and a baby is made. Which, for a five year old, is just enough information. As she gets older, I will need to get over myself and positively educate her about her body, sexuality, and how to protect herself until she is ready to start a family.

I will also share information with her regarding reproductive assistance.

Reproductive education does not seem to get much positive attention. Many schools tell our children how easy it is to become pregnant, so “you better not have sex.” The reality is that it’s not that easy. I want my daughter to understand what infertility is, what it means, and what courses of treatment are available, if needed.

I do my best to encourage people to assess their fertility before they start trying to conceive in order to be prepared, should they encounter problems. If you are a woman, make sure to visit your gynecologist annually and spend time charting your menstrual cycle. If you are a man, have your prostate examined and meet with an urologist.

Now, please excuse me: I’m off to gag in the corner at the thought of my little girl growing up and having sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment