Tuesday, December 4, 2012

What would you do?

If you didn’t need your salary to support your lifestyle, what would you do?
It’s an interesting question. Really, it’s more of a question about your passions and how you want to spend your time.
  • If I could stay home, I would learn to play the three instruments that have been on my mind (guitar, ukulele, oboe) and get back up to snuff on piano and voice.
  • If I could go back to school, I would study interior design.
  • If I could have any job, I would go back to event coordination.
Interior design and event coordination happen to go pretty much hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, both cost a good deal of money (one for the appropriate courses and the other in lack of steady income). Sitting at home playing music doesn’t cost much initially, just time. I have the guitar and the finger charts already, as well as a piano and my vocal exercises, so I should just bite the bullet and start those again.
The problem is that I’m tired. My days are packed with work and parenting. I know that we all have the same number of hours in a day and that there are women out there who can do it. I just feel like I’m not one of them. I get up, get ready, get Little K ready, work, get home, do homework, cook dinner, baths, quality time, Little K’s bedtime, make lunches, go to bed. And then do it all again the next day. Where do these women find time to do things like workout and indulge in their hobbies?
And then I start to think about how much time another child would need and take myself to task: Are you nuts? You're just barely starting to get time for yourself again! At least you get to mostly sleep through the night. Little K is doing homework and reading books! Why would you want to start again?
But it never lasts for long. I get one week out of every five when I don't want another child. Then we start closing in on ovulation again and start all over.
This has been your weekly ramble. You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment