Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Different Like Me


I was sad yesterday when I was driving to work and saw the bandit signs supporting NC Amendment One. “But,” I said to myself, “I have already voted and, no matter the outcome, tomorrow the signs will be down.”
When I saw the signs again today, I was angry.
I have made it clear on this site that I am a Christian. You may have noticed in the About Me section that I am also a supporter of the LGBT community. For me, this subject falls under the same heading as the ALI community.
Without getting into a discussion about being born gay vs. choosing to be gay (or born infertile vs. becoming infertile due to age or disease) it comes down to this:
Something about [the community being addressed] is outside of what is considered normal and is being persecuted because of that difference.
To me, it really is that simple.
As I saw the signs again this morning, I remembered Hapa Hopes’ post about Interracial Marriage. At one time, it would have been illegal for me to marry R.
Just because we would have been different.
I hope that one day I can look back at how, at one time, these issues of same-sex marriage and reproductive assistance were once attacked but are now protected by the government and local community.
If we are all different in some way then that makes us all the same.
“[The greatest commandment is:] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

1 comment:

  1. So true. I love the verses and how you tied them to the NC issue. I am also Christian and also believe in equal rights for the LGBT community.

    ReplyDelete