Thursday, October 27, 2011

Back in the Stirrups Again

Just as I posted my previous entry, an email came in from my donor coordinator. I have been requested by a recipient, and my final (!!) donor cycle will begin the end of this year.

My wonderful sister and editor, becomingbrina, was online with me as I received the message. What a blessing it is to be able to immediately start processing my thoughts and feelings about this cycle!

I am always honored to be selected as a donor. Prayers for the recipient and the resulting embryos are already filling my heart. There is a part of me that is sad that this will be my final cycle; I have formed close relationships with the associates at my center and will miss my interactions with them. I will be losing my primary method of supporting Assisted Reproduction.

I won’t be sad to say goodbye to the hormones: as I articulated to becomingbrina, I am particularly baby-crazy during the injections.

I won’t be sad to say goodbye to hyper-stimulation, which seems to hit no matter how carefully I am monitored.

I certainly won’t be sad to say goodbye to the pain, bloating, and crippling constipation that linger for two weeks after retrieval.

But I am concerned about the timing of this cycle. It is tentatively scheduled to take place over Christmas, which is already a difficult time since Little K spends that holiday with her father. And I’ve been known to go baby-crazy during that month anyway.

So I am taking this opportunity to proactively coin my own phrase, “The Perfect Storm of Suck.”

Feel free to borrow that, as needed.

At least I’ll get to blog this cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment